Flags

Flags
Bayern, USA, Deutschland

Tuesday, September 04, 2007

What's your name?

Tolkien's epic, "The Lord of the Rings" is perhaps the best English work of literature in the 20th century. Although we are merely six years into the 21st century, I have not found a work of English literature that matches Tolkien's masterpiece.

Much of Tolkien's culture revolves around England, French, German, and Scandinavian sources. Dwarves and elves feature prominently in his books. Such people are found in the folklore of the Germanic tribes of Europe.

I used to read Tolkien's books every summer when I was in junior high and high school. On our long drives to reach our family vacation destination, I would immerse myself in "The Lord of the Rings". A few years ago I read the novels straight through, having received for Christmas all three books bound together in one massive hardcover edition (which is how it should be!). The three movies were awesome.

I recently found a site that generates Middle Earth names for you. Here are some of mine:

Teleplómëion (Elvish)
Valin Redears (Dwarvish)
Kildirândam (Adunaic, the Men of the West, i.e. Numenor)

Go to http://www.barrowdowns.com/ and scroll down to find the name generator link to find you Middle Earth names.

The parishoners have difficulty pronouncing my name now; imagine if they had to address me as Pastor Teleplómëion!

No comments: